Train for a Maritime Career
Because of the proximity to the Pacific Ocean and other water resources, the maritime industry has a rich history in the Northwest. Seattle Maritime Academy prepares men and women for successful careers in passenger transportation, fishing and seafood processing, international trade, military operations and other maritime sub-sectors.
Why train at the Seattle Maritime Academy?
At the Seattle Maritime Academy, you will:
- Gain knowledge and insights from our experienced faculty—all of whom are active or retired merchant mariners.
- Get practice on our simulators and other equipment used on vessels in a safe environment.
- Engage in an at-sea internship to get real-world experience and acquire the required sea time for your U.S. Coast Guard upgrade.
- Train in the only program of its kind serving Washington and Alaska that is fully accredited by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Learn in an unbeatable location on the working waterfront of the Washington Ship Channel under the Ballard Bridge, in a modern facility near maritime companies and organizations with internship and employment opportunities.
Where our Alumni Work
Here are just a few of the companies and organizations where our alumni work:
- Alaska Diesel Electric, Inc. Alaska Marine Charters
- American Seafoods
- Argosy Cruises
- Clipper Navigation
- Coastal Transportation
- Cononco Phillips – Polar Tankers
- Crowley Maritime Corporation
- Foss Maritime Company
- Fremont Maritime Services
- Harley Marine Services
- Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- Noble Drilling
- Oregon State University
- Port of Seattle
- Premier Pacific Seafoods
- Trident Seafoods
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- United States Seafoods
- UW School of Aquatic Fisheries and Sciences
- US Navy
- Victoria Clipper
- Washington State Ferries
- Western Towboat Company
Ready to get started? Find the Seattle Maritime Academy program that’s right for you.