Train for a Maritime Career
Because of the proximity to the Pacific Ocean and other water resources, the maritime industry has a rich history in the Northwest. The Seattle Maritime Academy prepares men and women for successful careers in passenger transportation, fishing and seafood processing, international trade, military operations and other maritime sub-sectors.
Why train at the Seattle Maritime Academy?
At the Seattle Maritime Academy, you will:
- Gain knowledge and insights from our experienced faculty—all of whom are active or retired merchant mariners.
- Get practice on our simulators and other equipment used on vessels in a safe environment.
- Engage in an at-sea internship to get real-world experience and acquire the required sea time for your U.S. Coast Guard upgrade.
- Train in the only program of its kind serving Washington and Alaska that is fully accredited by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Learn in an unbeatable location on the working waterfront of the Washington Ship Channel under the Ballard Bridge, in a modern facility near maritime companies and organizations with internship and employment opportunities.
Here are just a few of the companies and organizations where our alumni work:
- Alaska Diesel Electric, Inc. Alaska Marine Charters
- American Seafoods
- Argosy Cruises
- Clipper Navigation
- Coastal Transportation
- Cononco Phillips – Polar Tankers
- Crowley Maritime Corporation
- Foss Maritime Company
- Fremont Maritime Services
- Harley Marine Services
- Military Sealift Command (MSC)
- Noble Drilling
- Oregon State University
- Port of Seattle
- Premier Pacific Seafoods
- Trident Seafoods
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- United States Seafoods
- UW School of Aquatic Fisheries and Sciences
- US Navy
- Victoria Clipper
- Washington State Ferries
- Western Towboat Company
Ready to get started? Find the Seattle Maritime Academy program that’s right for you.