Degrees & Certificates
Certificate programs provide students with a set of skills to find a job or
stay current in a profession. Many certificates are designed to build on top of each other
eventually lead to a longer-term certificate or degree. These are called “stackable”
- Credits to complete: 72.5
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 4 | Part Time - Part Time Option Not Available
About the Program
Seattle Central College’s Seattle Maritime Academy offers a Marine Engineering Technology program that combines practical shipboard experience with classroom instruction in our new, high-tech building to help you learn the theory, design, operation and maintenance of deck equipment and applied navigation skills.
With the aging workforce in the maritime trades and new opportunities in our global economy, demand for trained maritime workers is high and expected to grow in the coming years. By earning a Marine Engineering Technology certificate, you will be prepared to work on the engine side of vessel operations and have the knowledge and experience to:
- Maintain the ship’s electrical, refrigeration and ventilation systems
- Start the engine and regulate the vessel’s speed, based on the captain’s orders
- Read pressure and temperature gauges and record data
- Help engineers with repairs to machinery
- Connect hoses, operate pumps and clean tanks
- Assist the deck crew with loading or unloading of cargo
Our expert instructors, with extensive at-sea experience, will help you gain practical experience in our advanced training facility equipped with a simulation labs and aboard our fleet of vessel. You will build the skills needed to operate and maintain a vessel’s propulsion system, which includes the engine, boilers, generators, pumps and other equipment and apply those skills during an at-sea internship. As a graduate of the Marine Engineering Technology program, you will be well-prepared to launch a maritime career.
Program lengths are estimates, not guarantees. For the most current program information, please check with the program contact.